How to apply for the €2,500 online trading voucher
From 1 July 2014 small businesses throughout Ireland can apply for digital vouchers in helping their businesses trade online. 1000 vouchers will be available for qualifying businesses through the network of 31 Local Enterprise Offices between now and the end of 2014. Businesses will be able to apply for grants of up to €2500 as the Government has allocated €5 million for the rollout of the trading online voucher scheme. The scheme has been successfully piloted in Dublin City earlier in the year and some finding of the soft launch included:
- 70% of companies see more customer inquiries.
- 55% have had more sales.
- Most companies are primarily trading domestically but export expectations have increased with business expecting to get 30% of sales from export markets within 6 months.
- Business owners & staff are devoting more time to trading online.
- 60% expect to recruit online staff within 12 months.
Why Is Online Trading Important?
With the trend ever increasing towards online spending it is estimated that only 23% of small Irish businesses are engaged in any meaningful way in E-Commerce sales. For businesses employing less than ten people this percentage is even lower. It is now believed that of online purchases made in Ireland, 70% of these are done in overseas markets. There is now an urgency to ensure that businesses recognise the changing environment and that they are encouraged to correctly respond to this digital reality. The digital part of the economy in Ireland is growing at 16% per year – that is just over 5 times the rate of growth of the rest of the economy. The objective of the scheme is to help small businesses grow their sales, exports and ultimately jobs. Trading online is not only a big opportunity for small businesses, it is becoming an essential part of business strategy.
Who Can Apply?
The application process for the vouchers is a competitive one open to a range of small businesses. The vouchers are targeted at businesses with the following profile:
- Limited Online Trading presence.
- Less than 10 employees.
- Turnover less than €2m.
- Applicant business must be registered and trading for at least 12 months.
- Business must be located in the area covered by this phase of the scheme (within the remit of the participating LEOs).
What the Vouchers can be used for?
The vouchers can be used in a variety of areas including:
- IT consultation.
- Development or upgrade of an e-commerce website.
- Implementing Online payments or booking systems
- Purchase of Internet related software.
- Purchase of online advertising (up to 30% of voucher costs).
- Developing an App (or multiplatform webpages).
- Implementing a digital marketing strategy (Social Media Marketing).
- Consultation with ICT experts for early stage adoption.
- Training specifically to establish an on-line trading activity.
I’m sure there are some Terms & Conditions?
Naturally there are always some terms and conditions attached to these type of schemes.
- Vouchers will be available to a maximum value of €2,500.
- Voucher approval must be gained prior to incurring any expense.
- Own labour is not an eligible expense.
- Third party costs only will be considered.
- Use of vouchers for brochure websites is not allowed.
- Purchase of non-internet related software is prohibited.
- Anything other than online trading activity cannot be redeemed.
- Third party costs only will be considered
- All supplier invoices must contain proper business details.
- Applications are limited to the second phase regions of the roll out. These include Dublin City & County/ Cork City & County /Kerry/ Louth/ Sligo/ Waterford.
What’s the Application Process?
Step 1. Make yourself aware of all the details of the scheme (contact us)
Step 2. Attend Local Enterprise Office Information Session
Step 3. Apply for Online Trading Voucher
Step 4. Your Application will be Assessed.
Step 5. Vouchers issued to Successful Applicants
Step 6. Spend your Voucher
Step 7. Send in your Complete Expenses Claim and get paid
- Trading Online Voucher Scheme, Department of Communication Climate Action and Environment
- Find your Local Enterprise Office
"A breath of fresh air. Your firm demonstrated enormous commercial understanding in turning around negotiations with a potential target vendor. I admire your style and ability to drive the deal forward. Many thanks."
"I would like to say I'm very happy with your service, especially the audit team, your staff are always friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with."
"Your business approach to clients is very impressive. I have always found that when explaining the types of service on offer, it is always concise and straight forward. The level of trust that clients place in your company and its staff speaks volumes."
"I would like to take this opportunity to say how much we are impressed with your company's professionalism, it has been a pleasure working with you all and we look forward to working with you in the future."
"Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors are an excellent firm of accountants, their quality ethos is outstanding."
"I have dealt with Jamie O' Hanlon, of Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors Chartered Certified Accountants, for a number of years as he is auditor to one of my clients. I have always found him to be professional and responsive in his approach."
"Service is second to none; there is always someone at the end of the phone for any business advice. The staff are very easy to get along with, very approachable and know exactly what they are talking about"
We at Fitzies Bar have worked with Avid Partners - Business & Financial Advisers for over five years. We find that the advice and support offered to us in addition to all of our book-keeping requirements to include payroll, VAT, etc. is invaluable and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
Jamie and his staff are a pleasure to work with. They respond promptly to any queries we have and are critical to our financial planning and the future needs of our business. I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in accounting services.
We at Stillorgan Cycles have used Jamie and his Team at Avid Partners – Accountants and Business Advisers for over five years. We have found that the retail advice and support offered to us is second to none and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
I met Avid Partners through a local business networking group. We had been using the same accountants for years and found that in these harsh economic times that we were not getting good enough value or service. We were very impressed by the company's professionalism and enthusiasm and genuine interest in helping us get the most out of our business. As a result we are now clients of Avid Partners and are thrilled with our decision.
After meeting Avid Partners with a view to changing our accountants, we came away with a better deal financially and a feeling that we were in capable hands. We feel that Avid Partners has a personal interest in the welfare of our business. Avid Partners have given us great advice, help and support and respond to our day to day queries with speed and efficiency. We feel it was a great move for us to change to Avid Partners.