A €25 million state fund – Live Performance Support Scheme – is open for applications and it is envisaged the scheme will provide work for thousands of musicians, performers, promoters, crew and support staff in the beleaguered sector.
Live Performance Support Scheme Overview
Launched by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media in March 2021, the Live Performance Support Scheme 2021 has funding of €25 million to assist commercial venues, promoters and producers to employ artists and musicians of all genres, performers, technicians and other support staff in the live performance sector.
The scheme involves paying of grants in arrears, with grant recipients claiming costs after they have staged the event, which may cause issues for many applicants
Who can Apply?
This scheme is aimed at established commercial producers and promoters that create live performances and have a proven record of accomplishment in the live performance sector. Venues with a proven record of employing local working bands and electronic music may also apply with proposals that include these artists.
- Show a proven track record of live performances
- Plan to hold a live performance/event that will conclude on or before 30 September 2021
- Be tax compliant
- Not be funded by the public sector from 2018 – 2020 (excluding COVID-19 supports)
- Only 1 application will be considered, initially, for each project promoter
The scheme is open to those looking to:
- support the creation of employment and wellbeing opportunities in the culture, creative and music industries and the continued creation of high quality artistic output
- address the large gap left by the absence of income from live performances
- support performances/work that will conclude on or before 30 September 2021
- support commercial venues, producers and promoters in the culture sector (for example: music, entertainment and theatre)
- support music professionals in all genres and aim to ensure that Irish musicians, lighting and sound engineers, PR, media, agents, labels and publishers can continue to develop and share their work in the context of COVID-19 restrictions
The scheme offers support to live performances that occur before the end of September 2021 and awards will range from €10,000 upwards.
Application and Key Dates
Applications are now invited for this scheme. Application forms, guidance on the application process and further information can be found on the department’s website.
The closing date for applications is 1pm on 14 April 2021.
- The Event Industry Association of Ireland hosted a free webinar on the Live Performance Support Scheme 2021 on 23rd March. Representatives from the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport & Media also attended and provided an introduction to this scheme, information in relation to the application form and answered questions. A recording of this webinar may be accessed here
- Live Performance Support Scheme FAQs ( Updated 30 March 2021)
The Music Entertainment Business Assistance Scheme
As a further support measure for those in the live music entertainment industry, Government has announced funding of up to €14m for a new scheme to make a contribution to the overheads of businesses that have been significantly negatively affected by COVID-19 and that do not qualify for other business supports.
The main features of this new Music Entertainment Business Assistance Scheme (MEBAS) will see support offered by way of two levels of flat payments depending on turnover of the business:
- €2,500 for businesses with a VAT-exclusive turnover of €20,000 – €100,000
- €5,000 for businesses with a VAT-exclusive turnover in excess of €100,000
The scheme is expected to open in April and self-employed businesses – whether sole traders, partnerships and incorporated entities operating exclusively within the commercial live entertainment sector – are eligible to apply. We will keep you updated as further details become available.
"A breath of fresh air. Your firm demonstrated enormous commercial understanding in turning around negotiations with a potential target vendor. I admire your style and ability to drive the deal forward. Many thanks."
"I would like to say I'm very happy with your service, especially the audit team, your staff are always friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with."
"Your business approach to clients is very impressive. I have always found that when explaining the types of service on offer, it is always concise and straight forward. The level of trust that clients place in your company and its staff speaks volumes."
"I would like to take this opportunity to say how much we are impressed with your company's professionalism, it has been a pleasure working with you all and we look forward to working with you in the future."
"Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors are an excellent firm of accountants, their quality ethos is outstanding."
"I have dealt with Jamie O' Hanlon, of Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors Chartered Certified Accountants, for a number of years as he is auditor to one of my clients. I have always found him to be professional and responsive in his approach."
"Service is second to none; there is always someone at the end of the phone for any business advice. The staff are very easy to get along with, very approachable and know exactly what they are talking about"
We at Fitzies Bar have worked with Avid Partners - Business & Financial Advisers for over five years. We find that the advice and support offered to us in addition to all of our book-keeping requirements to include payroll, VAT, etc. is invaluable and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
Jamie and his staff are a pleasure to work with. They respond promptly to any queries we have and are critical to our financial planning and the future needs of our business. I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in accounting services.
We at Stillorgan Cycles have used Jamie and his Team at Avid Partners – Accountants and Business Advisers for over five years. We have found that the retail advice and support offered to us is second to none and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
I met Avid Partners through a local business networking group. We had been using the same accountants for years and found that in these harsh economic times that we were not getting good enough value or service. We were very impressed by the company's professionalism and enthusiasm and genuine interest in helping us get the most out of our business. As a result we are now clients of Avid Partners and are thrilled with our decision.
After meeting Avid Partners with a view to changing our accountants, we came away with a better deal financially and a feeling that we were in capable hands. We feel that Avid Partners has a personal interest in the welfare of our business. Avid Partners have given us great advice, help and support and respond to our day to day queries with speed and efficiency. We feel it was a great move for us to change to Avid Partners.