On 30 July 2020: the Companies (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Covid-19) Bill 2020 was passed by the Dáil. The Bill makes temporary amendments to the Companies Act 2014 and the Industrial and Provident Societies Acts 1893 – 2018 to address issues arising as a result of Covid-19. It is hoped that provisions contained in the Bill will assist those businesses who have been adversely impacted by Covid-19 and address practical issues facing business with regard to compliance and solvency. Measures will be operative for an interim period (up until 31 December 2020) and will be extended by Government if it’s deemed necessary.
Features of the Bill
The main provisions of the Bill may be summarised as follows:
- Businesses may hold AGM’s, general meetings and creditors’ meetings electronically;
- AGMs may be postponed until 31 December 2020;
- Documents which are required to be executed under seal are allowed to be executed in counterpart;
- The period of Examinership has been extended from 100 to 150 days, subject to court approval;
- An increase in the amount at which a creditor can issue a statutory demand, from €10,000 to €50,000 for an individual debt, or from €20,000 to €50,000 for aggregate debts owed to a single creditor;
- A statutory fiduciary duty on directors of a company approaching insolvency to have regard for the interests of the company’s creditors and to preserve company property;
- Provide the Minister with regulation making power in respect of extending the interim period and amending the operational detail of virtual general meetings.
- Viable companies have sufficient breathing space to restructure and trade through the crisis.
- A welcome relief to smaller businesses around the country – shops, cafés hairdressers etc.as this change will mean that these businesses will not be wound up for relatively small debts of €10,000.
- Online meetings will comply with public health guidance on health and travel restrictions.
- Address the situation where a company seal and its directors and secretary are in separate locations due to remote working, a small amendment with practical impact.
- New duty to creditors on insolvency.
- Reduces the administrative burden on companies.
Company Law Amendments were introduced to mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 crisis on Irish companies; to give them some breathing space while maintaining solvency and compliance. The changes will apply during the interim period up to December 2020 which will serve as a trial run for practical changes such as AGMs being held virtually. Government will use this time to consult with stakeholders on what is working and what is not.
We are here to help. Should you have questions on this topic or need advice regarding any aspect of compliance or business continuity, contact Jamie O’Hanlon at email@example.com or telephone 0818 303 087.
Check out Avid Partners’ Covid-19 Resource for a comprehensive list of business supports available. This page is updated regularly as regulations change and new schemes are introduced.
"A breath of fresh air. Your firm demonstrated enormous commercial understanding in turning around negotiations with a potential target vendor. I admire your style and ability to drive the deal forward. Many thanks."
"I would like to say I'm very happy with your service, especially the audit team, your staff are always friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with."
"Your business approach to clients is very impressive. I have always found that when explaining the types of service on offer, it is always concise and straight forward. The level of trust that clients place in your company and its staff speaks volumes."
"I would like to take this opportunity to say how much we are impressed with your company's professionalism, it has been a pleasure working with you all and we look forward to working with you in the future."
"Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors are an excellent firm of accountants, their quality ethos is outstanding."
"I have dealt with Jamie O' Hanlon, of Avid Partners - Accountants & Business Advisors Chartered Certified Accountants, for a number of years as he is auditor to one of my clients. I have always found him to be professional and responsive in his approach."
"Service is second to none; there is always someone at the end of the phone for any business advice. The staff are very easy to get along with, very approachable and know exactly what they are talking about"
We at Fitzies Bar have worked with Avid Partners - Business & Financial Advisers for over five years. We find that the advice and support offered to us in addition to all of our book-keeping requirements to include payroll, VAT, etc. is invaluable and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
Jamie and his staff are a pleasure to work with. They respond promptly to any queries we have and are critical to our financial planning and the future needs of our business. I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in accounting services.
We at Stillorgan Cycles have used Jamie and his Team at Avid Partners – Accountants and Business Advisers for over five years. We have found that the retail advice and support offered to us is second to none and has helped to contribute to our continued growth especially in these challenging times. I would have no hesitation in recommending Avid Partners.
I met Avid Partners through a local business networking group. We had been using the same accountants for years and found that in these harsh economic times that we were not getting good enough value or service. We were very impressed by the company's professionalism and enthusiasm and genuine interest in helping us get the most out of our business. As a result we are now clients of Avid Partners and are thrilled with our decision.
After meeting Avid Partners with a view to changing our accountants, we came away with a better deal financially and a feeling that we were in capable hands. We feel that Avid Partners has a personal interest in the welfare of our business. Avid Partners have given us great advice, help and support and respond to our day to day queries with speed and efficiency. We feel it was a great move for us to change to Avid Partners.